In the Palms of Angels (2011, Press 53), by Terri Kirby Erickson, has won a 2012 Nautilus Silver Award for poetry. This prestigious international award is given for a book of poetry that “engenders compassion, wisdom, greater understanding, empathy, or passion through the artful use of language.”
In the Palms of Angels has been named the GOLD MEDAL WINNER in the poetry category of the 2012 NEXT GENERATION INDIE BOOK AWARDS!
ONE OF FOUR FINALISTS FOR POETRY IN THE 2013 INTERNATIONAL BOOK AWARDS: In the Palms of Angels
My essay on poetry and healing on journalist and author Maria Shriver’s wonderful website:
Fall in Love With Your Life mariashriver.com
For months after my twenty-year-old brother, Tommy, died in 1980, I woke every morning feeling like there was a piano sitting on my chest. Even the sun felt heavy on my face, and my limbs seemed to weigh a thousand pounds…
**I am honored to have been chosen as the 2013 Leidig Keynote Poet for Emory & Henry College in Virginia. Former Leidig Poets include Ted Kooser, Mark Doty, Kelly Cherry, Fred Chappell, and many others.
** One of the poems from In the Palms of Angels has been chosen by former U.S. Poet Laureate Ted Kooser, who also happens to be my favorite poet–to be included in his wonderful American Life in Poetry column, sponsored by the Poetry Foundation, the week of January 14.
** A new poem, “How to Sing the Blues,” was a finalist in the 2012 Rita Dove Award for Poetry.
** Also, my new poem, “At the Bowling Alley,” was one of twenty poems chosen (from 2,000 submissions world-wide) to be included in the 2013 Poet’s Market, published by Writer’s Digest Books. Again, I am very honored to be among those chosen.
**My poem, “Kenmore,” was the Grand Prize Winner in the 2013 Carolina Woman Writing Contest.
**My poem, “Orchid,” won the 2013 Poetry for Their Freedom Award.
Additional Honors and Awards:
- Nominated twice for the Pushcart Prize
- Nominated for Best of the Net Award
- One of twenty authors out of 2,000 submissions from all over the world, whose poem was chosen to appear in the 2013 Poet’s Market published by Writers Digest.
- Winner, 2013 Poetry for Their Freedom contest for my poem, “Orchid”
- Grand Prize Winner,2013, Carolina Woman Writing Contest, for my poem, “Kenmore”
- Finalist, 2012 Rita Dove Poetry Award, for my poem, “How To Sing the Blues”
- Second Place, 2012 Time of Singing Poetry Award
- Honorable Mention, 2012 Carolina Woman Contest for Poetry and Short Stories
- One of eleven international winners of the Nazim Hikmet Poetry Prize, April, 2011
- Honorable Mention, 2011 Randall Jarrell Poetry Competition; Finalist, 2013 Randall Jarrell Poetry Competition
- First Place, Love Category, North Carolina Poetry Society, for Frank and Alice: A Love Story, 2011
- First Place, Love Category, The Writers’ Ink Guild Fields of Earth Poetry Contest for “Wedding Days,” 2010
- First Place, Carteret Writers 19th Annual Writing Contest for “Shrimp Boat Captain,” 2010
- Second Place, Poetry Council of North Carolina’s James Larkin Pearson Contest for Free Verse for “Topsail Island,” 2010
- Third Place, North Carolina Poetry Society’s Mary Ruffin Poole American Heritage Award, “At the Drive-In,” 2010
- Second Place, Poetry Council of North Carolina’s Ellen Johnston-Hale Contest for Light Verse, “Bobbing for Apples,” 2009
- Honorable Mention, North Carolina Poetry Society’s Caldwell Nixon Jr. Contest, “Madison’s Picture,” 2009
- Honorable Mention, North Carolina Poetry Society’s Lyman Haiku Contest, 2009
- The Northwest Cultural Council International Juried Art & Poetry Exhibit, “Devotion,” 2007
- The Northwest Cultural Council International Juried Art & Poetry Exhibit, “My Father,” 2006
Written articles have appeared in Land Rover Monthly, PainPathways, Forsyth Woman, Boomer Cafe, Fifty is the New Forty, Flourish Over Fifty, Healthy Moms and others.
Terri has lectured at both the high school and university level, and has conducted numerous poetry workshops.